What is SEO?
Search-Engine Optimization (SEO): the methods used to boost the ranking or frequency of a website in results returned by a search engine, in an effort to maximize user traffic to the site:
The first step in SEO is to generate keywords that are relevant to your site’s content. — dictionary.com
In simple terms, it means the process of optimizing a webpage to increase its visibility by searches that relevant to your website. It is also known as engines’ organic results. The better visibility your pages have in search results, the higher chance for your website to grab the attention and attract new or existing customers to your business.
How Does SEO Works?
Have you ever wonder how’s Google or other search engines provide you several websites that could answer your request in seconds?
Yes! This is because search engines use bots to crawl the pages on the websites, going sites by sites to collect information then putting them into an index. After that, it will come to the algorithm’s work. It will analyze pages in the index, taking into ranking factors or signals, to determine the query of the search result for each page.
The algorithm is designed to crawl the relevant pages, analyze the content and provide users with an efficient and accurate search experience.
It is different from paid search ads, you can’t pay to get a higher ranking. You can only work on settings and contents to get a higher organic search ranking.
Ranking Factors in Google
There are many factors that can cause Google algorithms to respond to searches to enhance user experiences.
Refer to: moz
Other than the factors that mentioned in the chart, content optimization is important too. We should always provide quality content complete with keyword research. Mobile-responsive and page speed will also affect your search ranking which you shall take care of.
SEO Basic Settings
Here is the general guidelines that you can do to improve your webpage SEO ranking.
1. Keyword Research
The crawler of the algorithm is optimizing from what users key into the search bar. Therefore, the terms that users key in can be known as “keyword” which will affect how Google ranks your website.
For example, if you are the seller of a mobile phone, you would like your website can display on top of the search result when the user key in any keyword related to the mobile phone inquiry. Therefore you got the chance to grab the attention from the searcher and most probably close sales.
However, it sounds easy but might not be that easy. There are 3 basic factors we need to consider before we determine which keywords to use.
- Search Volume: We need to know how many people are searching with these keywords. In a simple sense, your exposure rate will be higher if the keywords you use are popular.
- Relevance: The term that usually searches by the users related to your content.
- Competition: A keyword with high search volume can bring significant traffic to your website, however, it will be very competitive at the same time. You need to do more so your website is at a higher ranking among all the other pages.
2. On-Page Optimisation
After you got a list of keywords, you can start to implement the keywords into your page. Each page of your website should have a core keyword and a lot of other related terms as support.
Utilize the given elements to easier help set up your SEO settings.
i. Title Tags:
HTML tag used to define the text in the top line of a Web browser, also used by many search engines as the title of search listings. – marketingterms.com
Title tag is one of the most important elements in on-page SEO settings and it is not difficult to get it right.
The best way to start your title tag is to include your keywords and keep it under 60 words. The title tag in Google is based on pixels not character counts however it is around 60 words.
Sample of title tag in HTML:
Website Design & Marketing in KL Malaysia – WoWoNiNi Sdn Bhd
ii. Optimized Meta Description:
A meta description is an HTML element that contains a short summary of your page and generates the brief snippet you see underneath a site’s title in Google’s organic search results. – themeisle.com
A meta description is important because it helps to convince the users to click on your website and gain traffic. The higher CTR you get, the higher chance for Google to rank your website because your website seems popular.
You should keep your meta description between 140-160 characters to keep visible in Google.
Sample of Meta Description:
<meta name=”description” content=”Website Design Company Malaysia! WoWoNiNi business concept is ‘Connecting YOU and ME’, an attractive website is an excellent way to connect your business with your prospective clients.. Also, with a vision of connecting you & me, boasts years of experience in the field of website development in Malaysia.”/>
iii. Body Content
Quality content playing an very important role in a website. Firstly, you need to be clear what is the purpose of your website/pages, then create the relevant contents or solutions that related to your purpose and meta descriptions.
What can you involve in your content?
- Images & Videos: According to HubSpot, 84% of video marketers say video has been effective for generating leads, up 1% from 2020. Videos and images able to create a closer interaction and positive impact with visitors compared to words.
- Social Share Buttons: These buttons have no direct relation to SEO ranking however it is a simple and effective way to increase your traffic. With the convenience of the share buttons, your visitors have more motivation and willingness to share your content among their networks.
- Engagement: Google attaches great importance to users’ experiences. Therefore, when you prepare your content in your pages, you shall always remember to give direct answers on what they query so they will stay on your site longer.
12 Best Free Keyword Research Tools for 2021 – SemrushBlog
If you need any assistance on your website, you are welcome to contact us – Web Design Malaysia.